Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!

Life has been crazy this month with all that has gone on with our family and for me personally. I wanted to document my birthday, although a month late.

Just under a month ago, I celebrated my 26th birthday. I must admit it was a week of fun. I only have one picture of the day, but if I had it on video, I would have been holding a fork in my hand the entire time. My brother took me out to eat at Cucina's two days before. He was a perfect gentleman, most of the time. He is one of my favorite people in the world. The night before my birthday, I enjoyed take-out with my sister and we let our kids go crazy in her house. It was fabulous.

On my actual birthday, I was greeted in the parking lot at 10 am by my brother holding a box of 2 dozen mint chocolate cookies from Schmidt's bakery. A nice little mid-morning snack I'd say. I then met my parents and siblings for lunch at Paradise Bakery. Their fire roasted garlic tomato soup is to die for and you get a free cookie with every lunch - in addition to the chippers you can sample while waiting in line. No one ever complained about being given a cookie, at least not me.

Joey arranged for some fabulous babysitters (Ted and Holly) who took excellent care of Owen so I could enjoy a night on the town sans baby. We went with some good friends to Happy Sumo to enjoy Vegas and California rolls and miso soup. As if I hadn't had enough to eat yet that day, we topped it off with chocolate from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Their apples are to die for and their ice cream isn't too bad either. We each found the treat that was calling our name. A couple of us then went to the Bourne Ultimatum the third installment of the Bourne series. Absolutely fabulous - intense, but a must see.

At the risk of looking completely glutenous, my family went to Ruth's Diner the following Saturday morning for breakfast and presents. The celebrations continued Sunday evening at Joey's mom's house for dinner with the Wilson's. This is where the one picture surfaces - blowing out the 26 candles on my Baskin Robbin's mint chocolate chip fudge cake.

I know, this is starting to look ridiculous, but in my defense, I loved every minute of it.

Goodies and thoughtful notes contined to trickle in the following week. It sounds like I was "treated" well on my birthday. I feel fortunate to be one year older and blessed with such great friends and family who made me feel like a queen for over a week. Birthdays are the best.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, that sounds like fun! Food = fun, right? My parents were just here for 3 days, and one day, I ate out 3 times! I enjoyed it, but now I'm paying for it!

I'm glad you had such a great birthday week. How nice to have so many people be so attentive to you! Are you still only 26?? I guess you're never going to catch up to me! :)

Lorena said...

Oh my heck! All of that indulgence and not an ounce heavier. That's the real birthday gift.