Monday, September 17, 2007

Back Among the Living


Last Tuesday night was not a good night for the Wilson household for a number of reasons. Owen and I ate out with my parents before heading to Jenny's campaign party to wait for election results. After an hour of Owen jumping off the walls and trying to pop a million balloons, we returned home while the rest of the family watched the results slowly filter in.

After putting Owen to bed, I settled in front of the computer to watch for any election updates. My stomach began to feel queezy and I couldn't decide if it was indigestion or nerves.

By 2 am, it was clear the pain I was experiencing was not nerves and I found myself running to the bathroom. I spent most of the night throwing up and rolling on the floor in pain. By 8 am the pain became extremely intense and Joey left with Owen so I could be alone. I called my dad and Joey in tears at 10 unable to cope. Joey dropped Owen off with his mom and we headed for the hospital (fortunately we remembered a bucket which proved very useful).

We were quickly admitted and I have never felt such sweet relief which came by way of IV and morphine/phenergan drip. A CT scan was done that indicated I had several kidney stones which the ER doctor attributed to the pain. She said it was also possible I had food poisoning. I was discharged a few hours later with a handful of prescriptions and we returned home.

The next few days had many ups and downs and we returned to the hospital Sunday night where I was given another IV for dehydration. This doctor's visit was more successful - we brought our own doctor, a urologist who read over the x-rays and clarified the findings.

While it was possible I passed a kidney stone, the pain I was experiencing was most likely due to food poisoning and severe dehydration and the kidney stones were something I had yet to face (lucky me!). I still have three rather large stones in my left kidney and two smaller stones in my right kidney. I plan to have those babies blasted later this month.

One week later, I am up and about and finally getting back to much needed household duties. Owen finally has his mom back and Joey has a more pleasant spouse.

5 comments:

Kevin Wilding said...

Why do always get to have all the fun? ----gosh, lucky

Chris and Jen said...

Glad to hear you are finally feeling better. You sounded plain old tired on Saturday.

Becky said...

Food poisoning and kidney stones at the same time? What did you do to deserve that?! I'm glad you survived the past week and that you're doing better! Did you inform the restaurant?

Unknown said...

That sounds awful!!! What a weekend. Sorry that you had to go through that!-Allie

Sarajane said...

so sorry; let me know when you have your kidney blasts. d'love to be of service.