Tuesday, December 16, 2008

P is for Presents

P is for presents

Matthew 7:11

12 Days of Christmas (I highly recommend the Anne Geddes book by the same title.)

Wrap or give presents.


I've been up to my eyeballs in candy and sweets to give as Christmas gifts. Mostly, I've been making it for my mom. She saw a picture of these peppermint patties in a catalog selling 3 for $25:


My version is alright and cost significantly less. I also found a good use for the medical gloves a friend gave me for my birthday.

They protect my poor little hands from the jagged edges of candy nuts and brittle. I also discovered I am pretty allergic to almonds or pecans (not sure which one and not willing to risk eating a bunch to find out). I broke out in hives and my throat started to get itchy and scratchy about 15 minutes after I wrapped my last bag of nuts. I loaded myself with Benadryl and was ok. No epipen usage today.


The sheer quantity of nuts was rather astounding: 10 lbs each of almonds, pecans, and cashews (definitely not allergic to those - love them!)

I also made and wrapped around 200 caramels, but half of those went to my sister. Whew, I'm worn out with candy. Bring on the cookies this week!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

You are out of control!!

Your family is lucky, I wish I had a personal baker.

Cassy said...

Wish we were still neighbors.

C, J, T, and M said...

Maybe next year we should combine forces...I spent a good chunk of my life making candy this past week too!