Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Good Karma

Someone recently sent me "good karma" on facebook. Undoubtedly, this was undeserved, but I was grateful it came my way.

My body has not fully recovered from babysitting, illness and many sleep deprived nights. I was particularly exhausted when Owen woke Sunday morning at 5 am with more blood draining from his ear. Illness or pain are the only trump cards he can play to get up before 7. Trump won.

I arrived at church early (with a tired and cranky Owen) to play prelude on the organ. I scanned the pews to find some victim to take my child while I played. Not a soul in sight. Finally, five minutes before the meeting began people began to arrive. My neighbor (who by the way has three children of her own) graciously offered to watch Owen while I played the organ and Joey, a member of the bishopric, conducted the meeting. As a side note, this neighbor is the type of person who is sooooo good, kind, charitable, giving, etc., etc., etc., you might make it into heaven just by knowing her. Right now, that's the only card I have. She held a crying Owen while his mother sat at the organ exhausted and sobbing.

I was very grateful for her at that moment. I was further grateful for a loving husband who promptly took Owen home following the meetings so I could fulfill my other two callings without stress or strain. Joey then took Owen while I crashed for two hours that afternoon. Then, as if I deserved even more blessings, someone anonymously left a delicious meal at our doorstep.

I have found the blessings tend to come in batches, just so the recipient knows it isn't a fluke. Three weeks ago, the same good karma rolled our way. Within one 24 hour time period, I found out I could get private health insurance (which was, by the way, no small thing), Joey received funding for his PhD, and the most exciting story to tell is Joey winning $500 for sinking a 3-point shot at a Utah game. As Joey can attest, it pays to be a devoted fan.

I am feeling grateful today. Grateful for the people who give of themselves - time, meals, love - to make my life richer. I have found that life can be difficult, exhausting and down right hard at times, but blessings will trickle in to give you the energy to face a new day. I am grateful for the good karma sent my way. Pass it on. Do something extraordinary tomorrow for someone undeserving. I'm glad someone did it for me.

4 comments:

Sarajane said...

You're quite deserving, but thanks for the boost on life anyway.

Scottie and Tasha said...

I couldn't agree more- you deserve it more than most. Anyone who can handle a bazillion callings and have a kid is absolutely amazing!!! May the good Karma continue, like I said you deserve it!

Kimbur said...

Thanks Shellie! It's nice to be reminded that the Lord is watching out for all of us!

Heidi said...

I'm sorry for the bad things that have happened. Good news is that things always get better. Thanks for the advice to do something nice, I think I'll take it.