- I start the process making the apples according to the back of the Kraft caramels package. I reduce the water to 1 1/2 T (the package calls for 2 T). I find that the caramel runs less and sets up firmer with less water.
- After the caramels and water have thoroughly melted together, I let the mixture cool slightly before I dip my apples. Although warmer caramels make it easier to dip the apples and make a smoother, prettier apple, it also tends to run off the apple when settling. I like the caramels just warm enough to slather onto my apple with a spoon. It sets up quickly on the apple and doesn't run as much.
- Place the apples on a Silpat sheet or thoroughly buttered piece of waxed paper.
- Let the caramel-dipped apples cool for 30 minutes to an hour before the next step. If any caramel has run down, reposition the caramel with your hands, molding it back onto the apple. It will make a terrible looking apple, but the flaws will be hidden by the yummy chocolate yet to come. The key is to make sure there is plenty of caramel all over the apple.
- Melt 12 oz. of chocolate over a double boiler. The chocolate needs to be good quality chocolate, especially if you are using white chocolate. I can use store brand milk chocolate, but I always use high quality white chocolate. I use Ghirardelli or Guittard. Melt the chocolate over low heat. Once it is melted, allow it to cool slightly before dipping the apples.
- Cover 2/3 of the apple with the chocolate and then dip into your favorite topping. Return apples to Silpat to cool.
- Good combinations: white chocolate with crushed OREO's or Butterfingers, white chocolate with cinnamon sugar (tastes like an apple pie), or milk chocolate with m&m's.
- Cut the apples in eighths to eat - do NOT try to eat it off the stick, it will make a horrid mess. The picture posted previously shows how to make the cuts.
- Eat a big bite for me!
Friday, October 19, 2007
Caramel Apples, Take Two
Several people have requested that I share some insights on the caramel apple- making process. I am happy to divulge my secrets, but must admit the process is much less glamorous than it might first appear. Most of the following tricks I have learned through trial and error. Mostly error. Here's what I know:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks woman!
Post a Comment