I want the following:
- To borrow an electric screwdriver or drill. I bought blackout blinds for Owen's bedroom (to encourage him to sleep past 7 am). I am having a nightmare installing them without an electric screwdriver.
- An HGTV do-it-yourselfer. I would like to stain my kitchen table an antique black, but don't have a clue where to get started. If any of you have an idea . . . please help me!
- The last want is a bit extravagant, and unlike the 0thers is not to be taken too seriously. While talking to a friend last night, we were both lamenting the fact that we haven't been shopping without our kids in over a year. What would it be like to meander through a store, browse items without worrying about your kid climbing onto a display, knocking over glasses or making a beeline for the front door. Ahhhh, one day. So the last want is simple, but probably the least likely to be fulfilled. I desperately want an afternoon to myself browsing and shopping without a wee one at my feet.

6 comments:
Hey, I'm just impressed that you know you want your table to be "antique black." I don't have much decorating sense at all. If I were there, I would watch Owen for the afternoon so you could shop in peace! I just wouldn't let him near my keys!!
Here ya go. These might provide some good tips:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Success_with_Black_Stain.html
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-366.html
I am happy to watch Owen for a few hours. My boys would love to play with him. I'll even do my best to keep Ian from being a bully. Let me know when...I'm planning on it!
All you have to do is ask! Joe has a drill, you can borrow it if you want, but it's crappy! The battery runs out every 5 minutes or so. But, the good news is, the black out blinds are AWESOME! I got black out curtains for behind Henry's blinds and he now takes naps in his crib, which he NEVER (not even once) did before.
We also have an electric screwdriver. Once you own a home...you find all sorts of things you do and don't need from Home Depot and spend hour after hour there. As for the table...you have to sand it first. Not the most fun thing in the world to do, but worth it when you get the end result. You can try a belt sander, but Chris and I found that you get a much better result when you sand by hand. Obviously, that takes a lot more patience. As for the coloring...are you painting or staining? If staining I can help. If painting, I have a sister-in-law who knows all the tricks of the trade.
We just finished painting and staining a whole bunch of our furniture to make it all look like it belongs together. If you need to know where to begin, what to do or not to do then give me an email! Good luck. I think it's fun and a big accomplishment when you get to stand back and look at it!
Post a Comment