Saturday, July 7, 2007

Humdinger of a Day

To all of you who have heard this story, I sincerely apologize. Please gloss over this blog entry and check back later to a more upbeat post.

Yesterday afternoon was a disaster. My mother and I had been running errands when the chaos began. We returned to our apartment and in attempts to coax Owen into the building, my mother handed Owen her car keys. She lured him into the elevator and we thought we had it made. I remember distinctly grabbing the keys as we stepped over the elevator thresh hold (to make sure Owen didn't drop them down the shaft). I let go of the keys once we were safely in the hallway. He bopped along and I ran ahead to unlock the door. That was the last we saw or heard from the keys.

My mom spent an hour in my apartment helping me hang picture frames and rearranging random decorative accents. Then I put Owen down for a nap. My mom got ready to leave, but to her dismay, could not find her keys anywhere. My mom loses a lot of things . . . a diamond necklace and her new cellphone in one week alone! We searched high and low. I personally picked through all the garbage cans in the house, dumped out every toy box, ran up and down the hallway and throughout the apartment building, called the heritage center desk repeatedly to see if anyone turned them in (another story entirely) and woke Owen up three times in the process. Finally, after 90 minutes of searching, I drove to my mom's house and got her spare keys. Two hours later, she was driving out of our parking lot with spilled Jamba Juice all over her, and without her keys.

To make the story even more exciting, my dad called and reminded me to check Owen's diaper because he is known for sticking odds and ends down his shirt or pants. I woke him up (again), undid his onesie and was filled with disappointment when all I found was a dry diaper. I fastened his diaper up again and dropped him back into his crib. Within minutes I heard his hand thumping the wall and I went in to see what was going on. There he was - diaper off, poop smeared all over his crib and a nice puddle of pee. The joys of parenthood!

Several good things came out of this day:
1. Dear friends who bought us a dozen corn bread muffins from Famous Dave's BBQ to try to lift my spirits. (Anyone who knows me, know that I looooooooove their cornbread! I actually go there for that reason alone. Everything else is just supplementary to the meal.)
2. Answered prayers. We found the keys - someone did hand them into the Heritage Center, it just took talking to the right person to find where they had placed them.
3. Good laughs after. I think disasters make great stories don't you?

2 comments:

r_turner47@hotmail.com said...

I love hearing all of your stories! You lead an exciting life, Shellie! Wish I was there. I love, Love, LOVE the picture, by the way!

Ruth

Elder and Sister Roundy said...

I laughed out loud. That doesn't happen unless it's really funny. Thanks for the humor! I miss hearing your stories too. You are good at telling them, that's a talent you know!

P.S. Hello Ruth!!!