Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting Better

Last week, Owen contracted some type of stomach bug, most likely rotavirus, and was miserable. After six days of diarrhea and vomiting, his body was beat. He didn't move off of the floor all day (which for Owen is no small feat!). We took him to the hospital Saturday afternoon were he was hooked to an IV. He was pretty badly dehydrated and hypoglycemic.

In an effort to make Owen less miserable, Joey began playing peek-a-boo through the door's window. During one quick move to hide, Joey smacked his head on the metal door handle and got a good size gash. He has a nice shiner and could have used a couple of stitches, but was reassured it would heal without them. He plans to get his tetanus shot today to cover his back. Comedy of errors.

Even after hours of IV treatments, Owen was pretty miserable and not improving like the doc had hoped, so we were admitted for an overnight stay. As a side note, the two yahoos who put in Owen's IV were complete morons. They managed to cover the bed with blood and then the guy got his glove stuck inside Owen's hand. If I wasn't so tired, I would have met the guy in the hall later and smacked him. Owen was courageous and held still through all the poking and prodding, but was in so much pain.

We were optimistic about what the morning would bring, but again, Owen could not hold down any food and his output was much greater than his input.

Miracles happened when he woke from his nap and was able to eat an entire NutriGrain bar and cup of water. We were finally discharge Sunday evening.

We feel beyond blessed by the support and love of those around us. I am still touched by the full answering machine of well-wishes, kind gestures (homemade grasshopper milkshake), offer for meals and sustaining hands. It was a difficult week, emotionally and physically, but we feel loved by so many of you.

5 comments:

Chris and Jen said...

I was at church with my parents yesterday and talked to your mom about Owen. So glad he is feeling better and home. That's crazy he had rota!? Wasn't he vaccinated for that?! Anyway, glad he is ok and I hope that the guy that made him bleed everywhere wasn't a friend of mine.

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

Um, so I need to check this bad boy more often!! I am so sorry, you have had a go of it!!!!!! Owen is so sweet and how sad that he was in the hospital. I hope that he is feeling better! next time you have someone like that do his IV you call me adn I will come up there and take care of business while you get some rest!

Rachel said...

That sounds SOOO Bad! Kate has had rotavirus at least 4 times- but never had to stay at the hospital for it...so sad. Once, when she had just thrown up and gone diarrhea (at the same time), some Jehovah's witnesses knocked on my door- obviously I didn't answer as I was elbow-deep in cleanup and they could tell someone was home so they proceeded to yell, "We know you're in there, open the door"...I should have let them in just to help me clean it up! :) On another occasion, Brian got up for work one morning to find Kate asleep in her own waste in our entry hall- too sick to come and find us in the middle of the night- sure glad thats over. FYI- they now offer rotavirus vaccines at your pediatrician's office. I'm glad Owen is feeling better!

Matt and Jessica said...

So sorry! That is on my list of worst possible ways to spend the weekend.

Sarajane said...

I'm so sorry!! What a tough kid. Glad it's over.