Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful for Blankets and Warmth

I found this picture and couldn't help but smile. Owen was about 9 months old. Owen obviously loves blankets. Blankets for forts, blankets to hide under, and his favorite blue blanket to sleep with.

Joey shared this story with me Sunday night and I felt humbled.

When Joey was living in Boston at age 12, he and his father became familiar with a homeless woman who slept in a certain spot every night. Being the compassionate soul Joey is, he strapped on his rollerblades and took a nice blanket of his own and gave it to the woman.

Joey said that later on, when is brother Ben was visiting Boston, he came across a woman who had cocooned herself in a blanket and gone to sleep. Ben noticed her because of the blanket that looked vaguely familiar to him. It was later confirmed, that yes in fact that was the woman they had befriended and the blanket Joey had given her. It was now serving a much greater purpose.

How lucky I am to have a closet full of warm clothes, stacks of blankets in the hall closet and a roof over my head. I have never felt so grateful or privileged to have the material comforts I currently have. I hope to do a better job this winter of finding those with less and helping in some way.

No comments: