Monday, November 3, 2008

Hiking Buddy


No one in their right mind would publish a photo of themself like this. In my defense, we had just climbed Mt. Olympus, quickly I might add, early in the morning, and I am tired.

Trell, far left, is what I would consider, one of the best hiking buddies in the world. He is articulate (necessary for long hours climbing), filled with life experiences, bright, determined, and encouraging.

Several years ago, he started doing "a peek-a-week" during the summer. We traveled throughout the Wasatch range, doing various "peeks" each weekend. The first, was Mt. Olympus. He and I found our way to the front of the pack, set a rather fast pace, and encouraged each other on. We climbed hard and fast.

Somehow, throughout the various hikes, I found my pace next to his and felt I gained a hiking companion, but more importantly a friend. There is something to be said about the respect you gain for someone when you are doing something difficult.

Trell is sharp, hard-working, and generous with his praise. I am grateful to count him as a friend and family member. Happy Birthday.

No comments: