Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sad Day for Republicans

A brief note on the election . . .

I profess to be neither a Republican nor a Democrat. I took a class in college that thoroughly discussed the need for parties, particularly in their creation of our great country. But, as I have headed out to the polls, I have sincerely tried to make my decisions based on character, integrity and vision - not party affiliation. Obviously, I have found myself on both sides of the fence.

Despite Joey's frustration at the need to affiliate with a party in order to vote this past Super Tuesday, I conceded, and for the first time ever, declared myself "Republican" in order to put the "X" next to Mitt Romney's name. Granted, I will be calling the clerk's office shortly, to once again be "unaffiliated," but I thought it was important this time.

Today is a sad day for Mitt fans (and I might venture to say Republicans) because Romney has officially suspended his campaign. Which means, consequently, Senator John McCain will be representing the Republicans (I won't even pretend to hide my disappointment). The better man did not come out on top. Thank you Mitt, for conceding with grace, dignity and charm. You have come into your own these last few months, and will be the man to beat in 2012. Maybe, I will have to re-affiliate then too.

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

I did the exact same thing, and will be re-unaffiliating soon. Sad about Mitt, maybe in 2012.

Carolyn said...

Yes, it's shameful. But now the real question for me is which one of the insane heads that are left to vote into the presidency! Scary.

Anonymous said...

With Mitt dropping out it left in my mind only one candidate left that stands for true change and hope.

Obama '08

Chris and Jen said...

I am at a loss for what to do. I don't want to vote for McCain. So it is back to the drawing board. I think I might give my vote to Obama. Because I definitely don't want Hillary in the White House.

Becky said...

Very sad. He would make such a great president. Too bad there are so many "Mormon-phobes" out there! I participated in Colorado's caucus on Tuesday, and he did win in our state.