I have come to appreciate that I lived a crazy and exciting life as a child, but am rather dull now. So, most of the things I share, come from a much more thrilling time. Lastly, I am going to be brutally honest in this post - probably more information than most would care to know. As far as I am concerned, if I am going to document some of these things, I might as well tell the whole story.
1. I worked at Lagoon the summer before I turned 16. I worked with my sister and best friend Amy twice a week, 10 hour shifts, at a Kiosk just outside of the white roller coaster. We did hair wraps (think friendship bracelet for your hair). If I remember correctly it was $1 an inch plus more for beads or charms. One lady's hair fell out in Amy's hands. It was a disgusting but very entertaining job. Also worthy of note - my sister was very thin in high school and Amy and I ordered the same size of polyester blue shorts as her. We had to unbutton our pants if we ate anything and generously blouse our multi-colored shirts so you couldn't tell.
2. I have over two hours worth of homemade music videos. In most of them, I am wearing a leotard from 10 years of dance as a child (i.e. very tight hot pink sequin spandex). I have everything from New Kids on the Block, to Milli Vanilli, to a full episode of Baywatch Barbie. You've got to see it to believe it. It is amazing I had friends or a boyfriend in high school.
3. I would do anything to play soccer. I get ridiculously nostalgic (and a little depressed) when the fall comes around and I am not playing daily. I even miss two-a-days. My happiest high school memories are on a soccer field, despite having a coach who should have been put in a mental institution. I played sweeper and my friends called me "gonzalas" as in speedy. I ran track in high school and hold the 100 meter record. It worked to my advantage in soccer.
4. Sleep is extremely important to me, although I rarely get more than four hours of consecutive sleep. (Obviously, I worry too much and need to settle down, but until that happens, I will be a late night/early morning waker). Joey knows that I get tired around 9 pm and will often ask, "Are you mad because you are upset, or because you are cranky tired?" Note to all husbands, this question won't make your wife any less mad.
5. I am a fish at heart. I could spend hours in the pool. Every vacation my family took when I was growing up, I'd insist we go somewhere warm so I could swim. I would spend around eight hours each day in the ocean, in the pool or hot tub. I was fried to a crisp. I swam competitively throughout my life and coaching and teaching privately were how I earned my living when I was first married.
Here I am with my girls, the tot class.6. If I didn't know better, I'd eat a mint OREO milkshake every night. I try to keep it to once a week, but let's be honest, sometimes it is hard. I saw this on another blog, and I couldn't relate more:
7. My favorite subject in school was math. In junior high, they didn't have a class for me to take, because I had finished the ones the school offered. During my math block I sat at the back of another class and had to teach myself. Once a month I had to take a test that Mr. Stott administered. It was great. If I had my college career to do over again, I would have become an accountant or statistician. One day, when Joey has completed his PhD and we are rolling in the big bucks (yes, I'm kidding), I will go back and get another degree. Either that or open up my bakery.
8. (I was only supposed to do 7, but I'm on a roll. Last one, I promise.) I love junk mail. Catalogs help me unwind. In kindergarten, I collected old wedding magazines. There is always a magazine shoved under my pillow or mattress. Don't worry, I recycle.

2 comments:
I loved it! Thanks for sharing, Shellie!
That was so fun to read! Jared got to hear me laugh again and again throughout. I love your attitude about yourself and those around you. Makes me want to be better :)
Post a Comment