Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Potty Mouth

We had plans to gather as a Wilson clan to celebrate my brother-in-law Sam's 40th birthday on Sunday. We were assigned the dessert and I didn't think it was appropriate to come without a cake. Despite being in pain and having difficulty standing, I was determined to do it with style.

With the cake and mint brownies complete, we headed out of our apartment. I herded Owen along with the cake balanced on one arm and the brownies in the other. Joey followed carrying a road bike. We walked to the elevator and I manned the buttons with my elbows. Owen did his usual dancing and jumping in the elevator. We arrived at the 1st floor without a hitch until Owen placed his hand on the opening elevator door which sucked it in with it as it opened. Owen screamed. Joey cried "Oh no!" and a lovely four letter expletive left my mouth. (I'm still not quite sure how it is a word that is not part of my vocabulary is the first one to come out at a time like this, but it was embarrassing to say the least. I still remember thinking "I wonder which of my neighbors was lucky enough to hear me yell that?!)

I threw the brownies and cake in the air and pushed the elevator door "open" button as Joey vigorously yanked on Owen's arm. It came out, but not without a lot of moans and whales.

Owen survived. Remarkable, the cake did too (for the most part). We flipped the cake bake onto its plate and headed out the door.

3 comments:

jamieleighcall said...

Don't worry, Shellie. We all have those "not-so-perfect" moments. I had one last week. We were raking leaves and Jake put the box of garbage bags in the middle of the stairs. I didn't see them and was holding Josh when I almost fell. A word came out of my mouth that is not part of my normal vocabulary. It was a great mommy moment, especially since Ben was within hearing distance. What can you do?!

Becky said...

I fell down the stairs in Alaska on my way to my seminary teacher's basement, and I said the "sh" word for my whole class to hear!

Marissa said...

Your boy's fingers got sucked in too? Ahh, if you're like ours, it'll probably happen again.