Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Grandma's Cookie Jar

My Grandma Beck's house was synonymous with night games, Grandpa's big blue chair, blue shag carpet and of course a kitchen filled to the brim with sweets and processed foods we were rarely fed at home.

Like many, we were only allowed sugar cereal on special occasions, i.e. Christmas and birthdays. Consequently, I went crazy when I stayed at my grandma's house. I remember one afternoon methodically eating one bowl of each of the sugar cereals she had stored on top of her refrigerator: Captain Crunch, Cocoa Krispies, Cocoa Puffs, Captain Crunch Berries, Lucky Charms . . . and the list goes on and on. I topped out at 13 bowls. I was long and lean as a child so I am not quite sure where it all went.

In addition to the stash on top of the refrigerator, she had a particularly large cart that housed a dozen different types of candies, cookies and sodas. Mother's pink and white circus animal cookies and OREO cookies were always staples. Without fail I would ask my grandma if I could have a "couple" cookies within five minutes of walking in the door. She would happily smile and I would head to the OREO cookie jar - cream with a navy lid. I loaded up my pockets and every 30 minutes or so I would sneak back inside to refill my pocket. I always left her house on a sugar high.

Owen has found the same spot in his Grandmas house (my mom). While she does not have quite the horde my Grandma had, she consistently has the cookie jar filled with OREO cookies. Owen is starting to take after his mother in many ways. He knows exactly where the cookie jar is and will stand and point (and occasionally squawk) until the nearest adult will lower the jar for him to grab the goods.

1 comment:

Becky said...

We weren't allowed to eat sugar cereal at home either. My mom just shakes her head wondering what went wrong every time she sees the Cocoa Puffs and Cap'n Crunch at my house!