Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Good Luck to Me


A friend of mine recently stated that if she wanted to make something accessible to her one-year-old son, she should put the item someplace truly disgusting, like behind the toilet for example. As I thought about this statement and my little guy, I watched him closely this morning as he explored some of his favorite places: the kitchen garbage can (he pulled a banana peel out, placed it in his mouth and then proceeded to explore other exciting places), under the dishwasher or behind the fridge (he found month old food bits, which much to my dismay also found their way into his mouth), under the bathroom sink to peel off and lick a sticker, and yes, also behind the toilet (fortunately this time I grabbed him before anything made its way into mouth).

I wondered why my child can be sitting on the floor with a bucket full of wonderful toys and look away in disgust, but squeal in delight if he finds a chord, an electrical outlet, or toilet brush. As my family always says, "Good luck to you."

We hope we keep this kid alive and bacteria free to see his 1st birthday. Good luck to me.

No comments: